Sunday 12 May 2019

FOR THE DURATION: Bakhtin - Menippean satire - the way to go...



Having found 'Subversive Pleasures' in the library, I've been reading about the early 20th century Russian philosopher Bakhtin.  This has led me to a genre that I think will serve me well in my thesis film, as it satisfies a number of criteria eg. its aim is to undermine authority, and furthermore, it features narrative that is fragmented.

So MENIPPEAN SATIRE:

AND,

According to P. Adams Sitney in "Visionary Film,*" Mennipea became the dominant new genre in avant-garde cinema at the turn of the century. Filmmakers he cited include Yvonne RainerSidney PetersonMichael Snow, and Hollis Frampton.[18]  (Wikipedia)

So it fits right in with where I'm planning to travel.


Rabelais's Gargantua and Pantagrule is also Menippean satire.

Here's a nice pic of the cover of a book I'm going to look for.




Bloody hell - the beat goes on:

Enthymeme

Used by Becket in his Trilogies, according to David Musgrave.


*the book is waiting for me at the library desk :)

















No comments:

Post a Comment