Friday 17 May 2019

FOR THE DURATION: Sound recording tests, and a link to my latest short film - a prequel to the thesis film.


A link to a new film - the prequel to my thesis film - can be seen here - The case.

I felt I needed to get outside and make something, after laboring for so long at my computer producing 4 re-edits of my documentary.  So, with case in hand, I went and got some footage, to test out the look of a location, and the sound set-up I may use - not the tascam dr60d but a camera mounted mic recording sound directly to the camera via my movo VXR 300. microphone.

Image result for movo vxr 300
Image result for movo vxr 300

Here is the result.

I need to do more testing, as there is an overall hiss throughout*.  I think the dB setting on the mic would have been better set at -10dB.  I set the level on the camera at 12 (on a scale of 1 - 20).  Maybe it would have been better set at a higher level.  The mic also has a high pass filter, which I set to on (filtering sounds below 80Hz).

I'm not sure whether my thesis film will have the same look as it's rather weather dependent, and the middle scene will be in the dark anyway...I found the initial viewing of the footage disappointing as it looked muddy and out of focus, but I sharpened each clip (by 9) and tweaked the contrast and brightness.  Would be worth going back and outputting another slightly brighter version. 

*actually, on second review (back on my laptop) it's not to bad.  I watched it with my mentor away from home on my tablet.  She said the sound was very good, but I just heard hiss.  Now to listen to it on my tv...




















No comments:

Post a Comment